Greek recipe for Pasticcio
For 6 people
1 kilo ground beef
1 large onion
2 large tomatoes, peeled
200ml olive oil
1.5 wineglass white wine
salt and pepper
500 gr. spaghetti No. 3
1/2 cup grated cheese
Ingredients for the sauce bechamel:
130 to 150 gr. cornflour
approximately 1.5 litre of fresh milk
2 whole eggs
2 rich tablespoons butter
2 cups grated cheese
1. In a saucepan, add the olive oil, the grated onions and the minced meat and gently saute on a medium heat.
2. After the saute of the ingredients, add the white wine and water, and cook the minced meat for half an hour . Add salt and pepper. Then add the tomatoes (which have been seived ), lower the heat and let simmer until to reduce the liquids.
3. Prepare the pasta. Boil in plenty of salted water and drain away excess water at the end. Then pour in the pan and add butter and cheese. Pour on the top the minced meat ( spread all around) and add some cheese on top.
4. On low heat, add the butter with the corn flour to be cooked, stirring constantly until golden. Add the milk, continuing the stirring to prevent sticking. It may be necessary, depending on how thick the sauce is to add some extra milk .
In a short while it will be converted into a velvety cream. Then remove from heat, add grated cheese and let it cool for a while. Beat the eggs and add to the bechamel. Add a little salt, nutmeg and pepper.
5. Finally, add the sauce into the pan and spread with a spatula to go evenly throughout the pan.
6. In a preheated oven at 200°C cook over medium heat for 1 hour, until the surface is a golden colour.