Recipe for spicy tomato marmalade / jam
For a jar of 1lt capacity
1.5 kilo of ripe tomatoes (large-fruited varieties)
300 g white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp black peppercorns
2 pieces of star anise
juice and zest of 1 orange
juice and zest of 1 lemon
A large diameter pot with heavy bottom
A small diameter pan
How to make spicy tomato marmalade / jam
1. I wash the tomatoes and cut them into large pieces.
2. I put the tomatoes in the pot.
3. Let them boil in moderate heat until their liquids evaporate, stirring regularly.
4. I roast the pepper, coriander and anise star in a pan, until the aromas emerge (about 3 minutes).
5. Remove the frying pan from the fire and allow it to cool.
6. Crush the spices with a mortar or blender.
7. Sterilize the jars and lids for 30 minutes at 150°C in the oven.
8. Add the spices, juices, zest, salt and sugar to the pot in the saucepan and continue to boil in medium heat,marmelade stirring each time so that the jam does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
9. Boil until the mixture gets the texture of the jam, but at the same time trying not to completely melt the tomatoes to preserve some texture.
10. Put the jam in jars, seal with the lid and turn it upside down until it cools down.
Bon appetit and cheers from Crete!
Allow the liquids of the tomato to evaporate well before adding the sugar. This will keep the bright red color.
To achieve preserving and avoid lesions, use only new lids in your jars. The jam will be kept for up to a year.